Hello Loleta Families and Happy Holidays!!
It is December and time for lots of celebrations and good cheer! A lot is going on at Loleta!
Here is a breakdown on events with classes and a couple of concerning issues for us to be aware of for our children.
● Ms Nyberg (5/6) and Ms Gustaveson’s (TK-K) classes had a fabulous time going to
the zoo and the Gem and Mineral Show last month! Bear River has given us enough
zoo tickets to enable all our other classes to visit the zoo over the next few weeks!
Thank you Bear River! You will be hearing from the classes soon if not already!
Classes are in the process of scheduling visits to the zoo and ASB will be funding the
SkyWalk tour for all these classes.
● Kiwanis have donated 4 bikes and the raffle will be held on Thursday December 16th
at 2:30. Raffle tickets require 10 pieces of cougar cash. However, to start us off each
teacher received enough raffle tickets to give one to each student to “reward them” for
something good (getting some work done, making good decisions, attendance….). This
way everyone who wants to take part in the raffle can!! We will take and share pictures!!
● Holiday Celebration week is scheduled for December 13 – 17!!! We will be having a dress up week the last week of school before break!
○ Monday- Red and Green Day
○ Tuesday- Whoville Hair Day
○ Wednesday- Ugly Sweater Day with Holiday potluck for staff and gift wrapping to help Santa. Plus Secret Santa Reveal
○ Thursday- Holiday Hero (Rudoph, Frosty, The Dentist from Rudoph, The Grinch….
○ Friday- Santa Day! Santa hats in class! Students to wear their Santa Boots
….imagination can take them anywhere with this!!
● We received a Tree donated by Karen Windsor and her family! Thank you!
● Holiday Door Decorating competition! The theme is “Appreciating the Light and Beauty
of the Season in Humboldt!.” Judging will be on Thursday Dec. 16. Ballots will be
available in the staff room! Would anyone care to come and help us judge?
● Santa is coming! It will be on Friday the 17th. We will have a sing along zoom program
that our music teacher Ms. Cherry is prepping for with the kids. Then classes will go
meet Santa in the Cafeteria to get their presents after!
Events Around the School
● Two discipline issues have come up around the school of grave concern. One is vaping
in the 3rd/4th/5th grades. We have also had “reports” of it happening in the 7th/8th
grades. This is an issue that is skyrocketing around the county, and the country. We are
working to educate and prevent our students from participating. There have been
several suspensions. All paraphernalia came from home or neighbors. We are looking to
you as families to speak to your children about not partaking in any form of smoking or
drug use. It is dangerous and can cause significant permanent damage. In this packet
we have included an informative flier that you can use to speak to your children
regarding vaping. Also Humboldt County Office of Education has a number of resources available.
○ The school will be bringing in more educational resources throughout the year to help teachers spread the word.
○ I have gotten the information for vaping sensors and may have some help with funding.
● Secondly, there is a report of several students leaving campus to go to the store at lunch
time for snacks. We have identified the students and involved parents. We also are
putting an adult across the street at lunch time to take pictures of any students leaving
and then to get them back to campus. Please speak with your kids in middle school and
remind them that we have a closed campus for safety. We direct you to the
● We are also reviewing and reinforcing the rules from the Parent-Student handbook
regarding cell phone usage in the 7-8. We ask that if family needs to get ahold of
students to please call the office and we will relay the message.
● Reading interventions are happening consistently and the students are loving working
with Ms Fairbanks and acting as reading buddies with the younger classes.
● Finally, there is a vaccination clinic scheduled through Open Door in coordination with
the LCRC. Marcelina has shared a google drive document for people to sign up. All staff
are welcome to get their first shots or their boosters. Young people vaccinations are also
If you have any questions, ideas or concerns please reach out to us! We look forward to to
hearing from you! Happy Holidays from the Loleta Elementary Staff!! Be safe and enjoy your break!
Students are off from December 20 until December 31. They will be returning on January 3,2022!!
In Unity for our children!